NEWBIE AT NURBURGRING: MAXIMUM ADRENELIN RUSH!


Matt Bonner blogs about driving a Porsche 911 at the Green Hell: One of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.




Lapping the Nürburgring is neither for the novice nor the faint of heart. I’d been on tracks before but this isn’t a track, it is a circuit, a Mecca of driving, the gold standard.  What many call ‘The Green Hell’ proved to be just that! 




I went with a friend from Frankfurt this past summer. He owns a 911 and although I have driven it many times, I could not wait to get behind the wheel and give it a go around the ‘Ring. We are talking just less than thirteen miles of crazy winding, twisting, turning, up and down, cut into the dark, almost black forest pavement that sends your body into a heart pounding frenzy. It was insane. This is the training and stomping ground for high- performance, high-end everything. If a vehicle can handle the ‘Ring, it can handle anything.



Before I arrived, I did my homework. I studied maps of the ‘Ring, watched video clips of other people driving the circuit, but nothing really prepares you for it. Once I was on it, I forgot everything I had heard, seen and read.  Anticipating what comes next is almost impossible for a first timer.  After experiencing it for myself, I would not dream of getting behind the wheel of a car without knowing the course.





While there is not an official speed limit, there are a couple places - Breidscheid for one - where there is a posted sign (I think it was 70). The most important thing, especially if you are not an experienced racer, is to really watch out for other traffic. Other cars went flying past me like I was sitting still. You are supposed to signal with the right for them to pass on the left, but they will not wait for the signal. Just stay to the right and let them go on. I did not drive flat-out fast, I was not racing anyone and it was still thrilling for me. As a passenger with drivers who had driven it countless times and had more racing experience than I will acquire in a lifetime, it was incredible, a mind-boggling experience.





There are two tracks in opposite directions, the north and the south. The ‘Ring is open to the public as it is a one-way toll road. If you cause an accident, you get the bill for everything. I think I said to myself, “whatever you do, do not crash Jamie’s 911” the entire time I was driving!





Making one pass isn’t heard of, it’s insatiable. We made nine passes in total between three cars. I had the opportunity to ride with a driver from one of the local racing teams. My body was a quiver of shock and awe when I stepped out of his custom tuned Porsche Carrera, above,! We stopped between laps and then took a lengthy break and toured the paddock. Even on a weekday there were Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, Audis and VWs waiting to run the ‘Ring.





I would be remiss if I did not mention how beautiful the German countryside is in this area. I did not have any of the problems with a language barrier that I hear others claim. Because of the popularity of the circuit, there is a lot of English spoken there. On our decision of choosing a weekday to avoid the maniacal weekend drivers, you couldn’t pay me to step out onto the ‘Ring on a Saturday.



Matt Bonner is a car enthusiast in the UK who spends most of his time underneath dripping and hissing vehicles.  He’s a tech advisor at EasyWheels, http://www.easywheels.co.uk/car-tyre-terms/




No comments:

Post a Comment